Wednesday, December 7, 2011

"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll

December/January book club books!  I finally finished The Story of Mankind so I'm just scratching the surface of Alice.  Now, I've seen the Disney animated and newer Johnny Depp movies.  As trippy as those are, I've heard these stories are still pretty 'out there'.  But after reading a 600 page history book, I think I'll dig a little psycho.  Cheers!

December 8, 2011:  A quick read.  And as of now, I wouldn't call it psycho or out there.  Frankly, I'm surprised this book has been made into movies or is known as a children's classic.  No meaningful plot (at least as I can yet detect) and no character depth.  Makes about as much sense as the stories Maren makes up at bedtime about dragons.

December 12, 2011:  I was really hoping as I kept reading my opinions about this book would change for the better.  Can't say they have!  Really, I'm surprised that this has been heralded as classical children's literature, unless there were no other books of children's literature written contemporarily.  A fantasy book written for children (ANY book, for that matter, I'm just not giving it any slack based on it's intended audience) should have a beginning, a middle, and an end; well-developed characters; cause and effect.  A nonsensical story can still be well-written.  I like my daughter's stories much better, because you can't blame a 3-year-old for her own innocence.  The only character I liked was the White Knight, which is really sad because it means I can't say Alice was my favorite character.  I mean, WHO was she?  Just a little girl to whom everything happened.  It was so annoying to find her Here doing Such-and-Such then then the next moment her surroundings are different and she is There doing This-and-That.  It's just too random.  The only redeeming quality of this book was its brevity.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment