Saturday, March 10, 2012

"The Distant Hours" by Kate Morton

If you haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of this author.  I would love to meet her in person.  I just thought to google her and was ecstatic to find her site.  I can't wait to dive into it.

I loved this story!  Of her three novels I've read this one was by far the creepiest.  I don't usually get psyched out by a story (what I love about reading is you can make a story as frightening or as safe as you want it, it depends on your imagination and desire to be frightened) but this book creeped me out.  And I loved it.  The Mud Man and Juniper and the castle itself all came together and wove a fantastic mystery and a shocking ending that made my jaw drop.

What I adore about Morton's writing are the similarities of themes that are consistant in her books but each story is vivid and alive in its own account.  It's like the periodic table of elements.  There are a finite number of elements the universe is allowed to work within, but look at the countless ways you combine them to make different substances.  (I'm not a science person, so if there's a gaping flaw in this logic I apologize.)  Distanced mothers, absent mothers.  The old woman and the young woman.  Ghosts.  Mysterious, decrepit buildings.  All these elements repeat themselves in her stories but they play a unique role in each tale so that a completely different experience is born.

No comments:

Post a Comment