Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"You'll Lose the Baby Weight: (And Other Lies about Pregnancy and Childbirth)" by Dawn Meehan

This was an impromptu read for me.  I was in Boise last week and had some time to kill before my book club, so I wandered into the neighborhood Dollar Tree to explore the book section.  I never know what I'll find there, but often what I find is surprising.  And even if the book is a dud, I only spent $1.06, so I won't beat myself up about it.  I picked up this book by Meehan and thought, why not.  I opened it up the next morning and couldn't put it down, and I ended up finishing it before bedtime.

I haven't laughed as hard as I did when reading this book in a long time.  In fact, every time I chuckled out loud (which was often) my children asked what was so funny.  And those of you with young kids at home know that they want to know EVERYTHING you're doing.  Why was it funny, Mom?  Tell us!  Tell us!  But the humor of pregnancy and childbirth would be lost on my 3 year old, so I tried to suppress my giggle fits.  I don't think I did a good job, because I still got "What's so funny, Mom?" several times each page.

Meehan takes on the topic of pregnancy and childbirth--and she should know a thing or two, or six!  As the mother of six kids she's an expert as far as I'm concerned with all things maternal.  This book will take the reader step-by-step in what to expect each month of pregnancy and the stages of labor and delivery.  It's not intended to dispense medical advice, and she often encourages her readers to ask their doctors if they have any health questions.  I have four children of my own and frequently throughout this book I could relate to the pains and discomforts Meehan shines a humorous light upon.  Being able to identify with an author like that is so exciting to me.  There wasn't anything in the book that was news to me as far as pregnancy goes, but this book was a witty, fast-paced, and refreshing read (especially after my Newbury books).

I think every mother should read this book, whether she's expecting her first child or has fifteen grandchildren.  And if you're single and don't want children, read this to intensify your resolve to never reproduce.

No comments:

Post a Comment