Sunday, August 12, 2012

"To the Rescue: The Biography of Thomas S. Monson" by Heidi Swinton

Through a series of events, I've decided it would be beneficial to me to start reading biographies and study biography.  I started with the biography of the 16th president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Thomas S. Monson.  I started off reading the book, but I knew if I were to ever make it through I would need to get the audio CDs.  Plus, the book was heavy.  I mean, I've read several thick books in my life, but for some reason this one was very weighty, as if it reflected the life of the man in heaviness.  That sentence came out all wrong, but in my head it makes sense.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this story, and Heidi Swinton did a fabulous job writing the life of the man who has been in church service over 60 years of his life.  She's my new role model.  And the life of the man himself is of course, marvelous.  There's no way I can summarize on this blog the biography of the living prophet on the earth, except to say how it moved me.  I kept mentally kicking myself, asking, "Why didn't I read this sooner?  Are all the prophets' biographies this special?  I need more!"  

I have just started my venture into biographies, and this was a big life to start with, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  If you've ever heard a song that touched your heart, or a verse of scripture that seemed to make time stand still and you could see your life and surroundings clearly for that brief, frozen moment, then you'll understand how this book made me feel.  I felt privileged for the movement of the spirit as I heard the stories of work and faith of this amazing man.

Question for readers (don't be bashful, speak up):  What biographies would you recommend to me? 

1 comment:

  1. "The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr." edited by Clayborne Carson. It is a collection of MLK, Jr.'s writings and speeches, edited into an autobiographical format.
    It is awesome to read about his experiences from his perspective. He was such a humble man and servant of God.
    He is usually misrepresented in other portrayals -- books and movies -- especially his goals and motives. He truly felt that every person should be viewed and treated as a child of God.

    ReplyDelete