Friday, September 23, 2011

Current Book: "Anne of Green Gables"

I grew up watching the Anne movies with my mother and I attempted to read the book when I was in jr. high, but I didn't like it then.  Last summer my lovely mom gifted me a box set of the series, which I have been picking away at for the past couple of months.  I am right now in book 5, "Anne of Ingleside", but it is now on hold as I finish my book club book.

I have enjoyed the series tremendously.  I'm in awe of Montgomery's capacity to create multi-dimensional stories, such evolved and whole characters.  In "Ingleside" Anne is a mother of 5 (with one on the way) and I'm anticipating the rest of the book because it's so similar to the stage of life I am in now (save the 'one on the way' part). 

From what I remember of the Anne movies I have seen, I also admire those who wrote the screenplays from the novels.  The first book and movie were virtually identical, but the second movie incorporates "Anne of Avonlea", "Anne of the Island", and "Anne of Windy Poplars."  To fit so much story into a movie timeline takes great care and arranging, and even though many things were taken out of chronology and even some characters invented to make it fit, I think it was an amazing job.  I can't speak for any of the other movies, and it's been quite a time since I've seen the first two.  When I finish the series I intend to watch them all afresh.

Update (9/25/11) -- Having finished "The Forgotten Garden" (if you haven't picked up a copy yet, you must) I am now commencing "Anne of Ingleside".

No comments:

Post a Comment