Thursday, September 27, 2012

"These is My Words:The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 Arizona Territories" by Nancy E. Turner

"These is My Words" is about a woman's experiences working and living in the Arizona Territories when the West was still wild. This is my second time reading this book. I loved it the first time and really wanted to share it with my current book club. I wanted to go back and read it to refresh my memory. It's funny the things you forget when you read something a second time around. :) I still loved it, but I forgot all of the parts where someone was raped or about to be or some love scenes. Oops. They weren't explicit at all, but the group that I am in is just a bit conservative about stuff so I was wondering how they would feel about some of it. It didn't bother them as much as I thought it would. :)

One of the girls in book club did say she didn't like the format because it's written like a journal. So, if you didn't catch it from the title, this is in diary format. In case diary/journal style writing isn't up your alley. :)  I like reading books written in this style. It makes it seem more personal; like you're getting to see everything- the good, the bad and the ugly. And even though Sarah's time was way before my own, I feel a connection with her when she describes her happiness, her dreams, her rebellious thoughts and even her grief.

There are parts in the book that will make you laugh and parts that will make you cry. I think the combination of the two make for a great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment