Monday, January 14, 2013

"The Wednesday Wars" by Gary D. Schmidt

Finally, I'm posting again! It's been awhile and I've left most of the work to Amy for about a month... or more... I'm horrible at the procrastination thing. Or good at it, depending on how you view it. ;)

Now onto my book!

Holling Hoodhood is a seventh grader at the beginning of the school year in 1967. He knows that his teacher, Mrs. Baker, hates his guts. Every Wednesday, the Catholic and Jewish kids leave school early for Cathechism and Hebrew School. Holling is the only Presbyterian in his class and doesn't get to leave school early. Mrs. Baker chooses to teach him EXTRA Shakespeare. And that's just the start of his worries with her.

I LOVED this book! I loved how each character developed and how you saw life different through Holling's eyes by the end of the book. I loved Mrs. Baker's intuition and loving personality. I loved the relationship Holling and his sister develop. I loved how even though he may have had a lot of influence from the one person that didn't change, he chose to be different. I connected with him. I connected with Mrs. Baker. I laughed a lot and cried some. It was funny and insightful. Very well written. Definitely worthy of it's Newbery status. I highly recommend picking this book up! You won't want to put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment