Friday, February 3, 2012

Reading Updates

Newbery Update:   I've been working on "Tales from Silver Lands" by Charles Finger for the past few weeks.  It's a charming little book, but it struggles keeping my attention span because it is a collection of short stories from South America, cultural legends likened to Aesop's fables.  I don't mind the topic, rather the style that I'm bored of.  I finally decided if it's taken me a month to only get halfway through the book, plus I have zero desire to read the rest of the stories, then it's time to give up and move on.  If it was a beginning-middle-end type of story with a plot, I'm sure I'd be more determined to figure out what happened to the characters.  But, frankly, while the stories are imaginative and charming, I have no interest in reading any more of them.

The next Newbery book will be "Shen of the Sea" by Arthur Bowie Chrisman. 
Edit:  Oh crumbs, I just googled "Shen of the Sea" to get an idea of what it's about and it's a collection of short stories from China.  It said they're humorous, so maybe that'll be better for my waning attention span?  Good grief.

Book Club:  The book we will discuss in our February meeting will be "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom.  I have read this before, but it was sometime in high school, so I am eager to read it again.  I enjoy reading WWII/holocaust stories.  So, while I'm ditching my last Newbery book, I'll dive into this one (when I get my hands on the copy I'll borrow from a friend).


Personal Reading:  I made an Amazon order last month and needed to spend a few more dollars to get my free shipping, so I bought "The House at Riverton" by Kate Morton.  I loved her "The Forgotten Garden" so I'm excited for this one!  I'll tackle it after "The Hiding Place."

No comments:

Post a Comment